Entity relationship diagrams can be used for business requirements, functional requirements, and technical requirements.
Why you should use it:
- The entity relationship diagram has been used by data modelers and DBAs (database administrators) for more than 20 years. This is a well accepted standard used in organizations all over the world.
- It provides a clear description of all data related business rules
- It helps to ease the move from analysis to design by having business analysts and database designers use consistent diagrams – less chance for a misunderstanding of the documentation.
- Textual templates can be used in place of the diagram
What happens if you don’t use it?
- Database design will take more time and data elements may be missed
- Developers may use the wrong data elements in their coding
- Business rules between data components are much more difficult to define and may be missed
- This may be accomplished with textual templates as an alternative to the diagram